Spring 2019: MATH 252-003 Numerical Analysis
Instructor: Charles Puelz
Location and Time: Tues and Thurs, 11 - 1215pm, CIWW 201
TA: Tristan Goodwill. Session is held Friday, 11 - 1215pm, CIWW 517
Grader: Runxi Bai
We will be working mainly from the book An Introduction to Numerical Analysis by Suli and Mayers.
I’ll post pdfs of my notes, along with some sample Matlab codes. Some of the codes are from Georg Stadler… thanks!
- 1/29: sections 1.1, 1.2. nonlinear equations, fixed point iteration. simple_iteration.pdf.
- 1/31: sections 1.2, 1.3. fixed point convergence. contractions_and_convergence.pdf, fixed_point_convergence.m
- 2/5: section 1.3. review of Cauchy and convergent sequences. convergence_and_stability.pdf.
- 2/7: sections 1.3, 1.4. stability and Newton’s method. stability_and_Newtons.pdf.
- 2/12: sections 1.4, 1.5. Newton’s and secant method. Newton_and_secant.pdf, parabola_fixed_point.m, Newton_example.m.
- 2/14: sections 1.4, 1.5, 2.1. finish Newton’s and secant method and start Gaussian elimination. secant_and_Gaussian_elim.pdf
Assignment 1, due Feb. 21, updated. assignment1.pdf.
The figure on the left is from this Wikipedia page for a Newton fractal. It is a fractal created by applying Newton’s method to a complex valued function.
Here is a link to NYU’s accessibility page: Accessibility.